nofreelist.com
keyword
 
reviews (a to z)# a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z

home :: latest reviews :: reviewer profiles :: statistics :: diary :: links

Not Another Teen Movie (2001)

  Directed by: Joel Gallen
Starring: Chris Evans, Chyler Leigh, Jaime Pressly
Links: Not Another Teen Movie on the IMDb, Official site, Buy on Video, Buy on DVD, Buy the Soundtrack
Genre: Comedy

This movie gets: 2.00 (1 rating)
nofreelist.com Ranking: not yet ranked (awaiting 2 ratings)

Not Another Teen Movie (2001) is also mentioned in em_fiction's review of Scary Movie 2 (2001) and em_fiction's review of The Substitute (1993).

"Not another pathetic parody" - a review by em_fiction

Wow, I had a great time when I went to camp (yes, I'm still an adolescent who goes to school). There were a lot of things to do - skiing, bike-riding, a ropes course - it was fantastic. But I guess everything that's good has a little bit of bad.

Thursday night was movie night and after a tiring day of activities I really wanted them to hire something decent from the old country video store down the road. The person who ran the camp centre asked for suggestions from my classmates as to what was worth hiring - and it was at that exact moment when I lost all faith in my classmates, especially the dipshits who suggested Not Another Teen Movie.

Fans of MTV should be familiar with Joel Gallen - famous for his short films and music videos. Not Another Teen Movie is his directorial debut for a feature film, and it's so sad to see him start off with such crap like this. To give you a precise idea of the film, it does exactly for the teen genre what Scary Movie (2000) did for the horror genre.

There isn't really one plot - it's just a whole heap of ripping off other plots and scenarios (e.g. an ugly-turned-pretty girl has a desperate-to-have-sex brother who isn't allowed to do it until she does, etc.) from various teen films, stretching back to the last few decades.

Some of the films it spoofs, that I can remember off the top of my head, include American Pie (1999), She's All That (1999), The Breakfast Club (1985), Cruel Intentions, Can't Hardly Wait (1998) etc. etc.

It also spoofs American Beauty (1999) - I really don't get why (just because it has a few teenagers in it, does not make it a teen movie) but then again if I were to question this film's sense in anything, we'd be here all damn day.

If you've read this far into the review, you've probably worked out that I wasn't an enormous fan of this film. If I were to add up all its attempts at humour, 1% would be mildly witty while the remaining 99% is just disgustingly unfunny.

What pisses me off more is that it ridicules such truly classic teen films, especially those by John Hughes (The Breakfast Club being one of my all-time favourite films).

Other than Randy Quaid, possibly Jaime Pressly and the numerous cameos, it is virtually made up of an entirely no-name cast - which makes sense because I wouldn't think any respectable actor would want to have anything to do with this load of excrement.

I will be fair to say that the cast do a competent job in portraying their stereotyped characters, but there isn't really much point in giving good performances if they all lead to such a nothing. It's kinda like swimming in cat piss - even if you could do it well, why the hell would you want to?

em_fiction gives this movie 2 out of 10.
Review created on Thu 6 Nov 2003

Movie review statistics

Number of reviews: 1
 
Rating Percentage
1 
 0%
2 
 100%
3 
 0%
4 
 0%
5 
 0%
6 
 0%
7 
 0%
8 
 0%
9 
 0%
10 
 0%

Reader comments

  1. egwhr

    Rating given: 10

    A comment from k on Sun 31 Oct 2004 15:54 #

Those who have commented give this movie: 10.00 (1 rating)

Add a comment

Your name:
URL:
Email address:
Make public?
Anti-Spam question:To prove you're not a horrible spam-leaving robot, please answer the following question (use numbers):
If I have 10 Best Adapted Screenplay Oscars and win 3 more Best Adapted Screenplay Oscars, how many Best Adapted Screenplay Oscars do I have?
Comment:
Rate this movie:

You may use the <em>emphasis</em> and <strong>strong emphasis</strong> HTML tags. URLs beginning with ‘http://’ will be turned into links. Line breaks will display as entered.